The very name--Box Hill--sends shudders down my spine. (I'm not exaggerating.) No, it's not the name of a haunted house or even the location of some traumatic battle (at least not that I'm aware of). Instead, it's the place where a beloved character takes a terrible character-building tumble. This scene is detrimental to the character Emma Woodhouse known in Jane Austen's Emma. (I'm sorry for those of you who don't know of this scene, I'll encourage you to leave the internet this moment and go find a copy of Emma and read it through.)
Meanwhile, Austen sketched a scene that so thoroughly harms her main character you are left feeling like you were slapped in the face and your heartstrings are in tatters. Not that the character was acting out of character, we had seen throughout the book there was a sharp side to Emma, but flaunting that side on Box Hill and making it the center of both the reader and the other character's attention you are struck by embarrassment, and pain by the reading of it.
Creating true character flaws are difficult, but necessary and making sure your character remains in and true to character in the process is an even harder task. What is so off balance in the stories of today is usually, character flaws that are represented in stories are entirely out of character and only leave your reader frustrated. So, character flaws are key! Therefore, know your character well so you will be better prepared to give them the realistic flaws they require. A few more examples for you.
Jo March
Is considered one of the most relatable characters in literature. Her flaws are scattered throughout Little Women in many forms and varying degrees of severity making her easily relatable. She is consistently Jo.
Adam Pontipee
Adam Pontipee, from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, is another example of a character that you know has a misguided side to him. In marrying Millie he was only seeking a maid for his way of life. But once Millie starts to influence the home, you see that there might be hope for Adam. That is until Millie overhears him giving advice to Gideon on the porch. Then, your heart breaks along with Millie's when Adam proves he hasn't changed at all. Thank goodness the man redeems himself later in the story.
Who are some of your favorite flawed heroes?
Yours truly,
Cordy

I am very familier with Emma because I just finished reading it for the first time! (okay, that's not VERY familier but still.)
ReplyDeleteOoh! And what did you think of it?
DeleteIt was much better than I thought it was going to be!
DeleteOH, YES. Box Hill. *Shudders elaborately* You described it perfectly. :)
ReplyDeleteJo is a dear, and her flaws make her so. I agree.
Ohhh, yes, Adam. It made me SO mad when he gave Gideon that advice, and my heart was breaking for poor Millie. Ugghh, men. Haha. At least he changed! :)
Great post!
Millie is a saint! Poor woman. Haha.
DeleteThanks!