Monday, March 13, 2017

Forgotten Romance: Simple and Precise Descriptions

Alright, I'm going to write the perfect description, just you watch:
"She stood there, beautiful as the sky, elegant as the dawn, with eyes as green as the sea as they sparkled like fresh pearls. The wind, played with her hair like fingers on harp strings and she smiled as brightly as a child's first laugh. I was smitten."
I do hope you either laughed or rolled your eyes as you read. I don't know about you but my eyes and brain are exhausted. I whipped that up by drawing from some of the romances I've read. (Don't ask me how many I've read, I beg you.) The description doesn't read well. It snags your eye and you aren't given a true understanding of who the subject is or anything about her other than an exaggerated perception of her appearance. Chances are when you are giving a description, you are writing in the first person and therefore, you're sometimes giving your character's unrealistically clever talents in poetry.

The remedy? Simplify the descriptions, particularly when introducing characters for the first time. Often times we are overwhelmed in physical appearance when we first meet a new character because the author wants you to see an image of their character immediately. In my personal opinion, this is a mistake. When you first meet someone, I don't think you immediately start to analyze their appearance unless it is out of the ordinary. Especially if you are being introduced for a purpose. You have the purpose in mind and your thoughts are far from comparing the subject's eyes to some object in nature.

Simply put:
1. When introducing characters mention something that you, in reality, would naturally see if you meet someone, e.g. a twitch of the eye from nervous energy, a smile that surprises, a general gut feeling from the meeting
2. Add more description as it blends into your story or becomes important

Now an example, and a good one too!


Jane Austen expertly wielded this skill when she wrote Darcy's thoughts regarding Elizabeth Bennet. Instead of having the gentleman compare the ladies eyes to some element in nature she had him state an opinion on them and he called them "fine". In calling them "fine" it leaves you to imagine your own pair of fine eyes. By saying they are fine, it leaves the reader to place their taste in favor of the chosen character. Basically, providing a general image is better than envisioning this--


See? Who knew how bizarre eyes compared to gems could actually be? Hehehe ;D

Yours truly,
Cordy

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This was great, Cordy!! I love your writing advice!! :D

    Okay, so at first I thought you were serious when you said you were going to write a "perfect description" so I read it prepared to like it...and it really didn't seem all that bad until you pointed out the problems with it. (Shows you how much I know about writing. HAHA.) I gotta hand it to you, though, what you said makes so much sense. Who DOES go around comparing people's eyes to objects in nature, like right off the bat? Mr. Darcy's approach is much more realistic.

    Speaking of which, I love the example from Pride and Prejudice. It really is true that simple wording often packs the greatest punch. I need to remember that. (I'm afraid I'm rather apt to strive for long, flowery sentences. Maybe you've noticed that. Heehee. ;))

    Also the whole thing about trying to give a complete description of your character to your readers RIGHT AWAY. That's definitely something I struggle with. I have to keep reminding myself that a reader gains an idea of the character's appearance and personality throughout the whole of the story, not just in the first paragraph.

    THOSE DIAMOND EYES, THOUGH!! MWAHAHAHA!! That's just plain freaky. I do hope no one ever compares MY eyes to diamonds!! Haha. :P

    Lovely post, Cordy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss March! <3

      Hahaha, sorry for the mix up! :D My sarcasm must be slipping!

      OH no! I feel like there is a place for flowery sentences...just not when we're first meeting a character. I suppose what I'm saying is timing is everything.

      I mentioned that because it's also a weakness of mine. Which only goes to show I'm in good company! Haha.

      :D :D

      Thanks, my friend!!

      Delete
    2. Ha. Either that or I'm not as good at spotting sarcasm as I always thought I was. Heehee. ;P Anyway, no worries. I caught onto it eventually. :)

      Oh, I see. Good point. And thank you. I won't worry too much about being flowery sometimes then. ;)

      Haha. :D

      You're welcome! And thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha! This was great and so true. I especially loved the added addition of that photo from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". I've definitely read descriptions that leave you with a bizarre mental picture like that, other than a clear feeling of what the character looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you a laugh!! :D While I was writing this I didn't feel like I was getting my point across--then I remembered Dopey and I added him for good measure. :)

      Delete
  3. Haha, perfect description, I agree. ;)
    Really good point, though! That's something I can work on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cordy! I loved this! I was so surprised by the diamond eyes!!! These are some good points! I will use them!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! While I encourage the use of imaginative sharing here, please keep your comments clean and tasteful. I will not publish swearing or vulgar language.

If your comment doesn't immediately appear, don't worry, I moderate my comments. Check back in a day or two to find your response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...