Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Authors To Read If You're A Writer

As I started applying myself in my writing I've discovered how my reading experience has changed. It's become something of an occupational hazard and makes for a strange situation as I critique books that, as they're already published, are already many steps ahead of me. However, I'm not always critiquing. Today, I just want to share two authors whose work I appreciate and may be unknown to you. Not only do I like the stories, I can appreciate the writing and they have helped me with my own works in progress.

Firstly, Gloria Whelan.
My first Whelan I ever read was Listening for Lions when I was maybe nine. (Are you sure you weren't eight or ten, Cordy? :P) I have read many of her books since then and I'm currently suffering because I mistakenly became involved in a trilogy of hers that I'm not sure she's going to complete. (She's 92 and she was last published in 2014.) Anyway, Whelan is skilled in the art of the small, yet fitting, description. She is one of my favorites for painting a scene quickly and expertly. One of my favorite lines of hers reads as follows:
"Just then, the moon rose, throwing a handful of gold coins in a path across the sea." ~Small Acts of Amazing Courage
Isn't that lovely?  Simple but a perfectly captured scene in only one sentence. Just don't read Small Acts of Amazing Courage because...it's part of the doomed trilogy I spoke of. :'/

Secondly, Eloise Javis McGraw.
I have only read two or three of her books but I am already impressed with the flow of her stories. There is a very clean feel to her books. McGraw can leave you hanging and suspicious without leaving you feeling frustrated and bored because of it. But most importantly her characters live and breath in the mind's eye. For example:
“He grinned down at Mara, and her retort died on her lips. As he turned to murmur something to Nekonkh, she struggled to regain her composure. What was it about his smile? Its warmth? Its sudden intimacy? It rushed to the head like strong wine." ~Mara, Daughter of the Nile
"It's sudden intimacy"--giving a smile something of an emotion rather than a texture; e.g. soft, rugged, smooth, you are instantly in the mind of this young woman unexpectedly attracted to this individual.

Well, that has to be all for today. Have you read any books from the authors I mentioned?

Yours truly,
Cordy

15 comments:

  1. YES!! Eloise Jarvis McGraw!!! And MARA!!! LOVE that book SOO much!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Moccasin Trail but that is the only one of her's that I have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished that one a few months ago. I highly recommend Mara! . . .as this post will tell you ;P Hehe.

      Delete
  3. We have Mara Daughter of the Nile. Unfortunately I've never read it. Probably should, huh? Anyway, you're right. Reading good books can certainly help you with your own writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those descriptions are marvellous! I've never read either of these authours...but now I must look them up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mara is literally one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. I'm actually re-reading it right now. :) And Gloria Whelan! I LOVE her Mackinac Island trilogy. Have you read them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is extraordinary! :) I am jealous. After reading it for the first time at the beginning of the year, I think I managed to wait three weeks before reading it again. Haha.

      How is that possible? While I have read many of Whelan's books I missed this trilogy. *goes on search at my library, frowns at search results* And that's probably why I've never read them. . .my library is lame and doesn't have them. :P I will have to add them to my to-buy-then-read list! :D

      Delete
    2. Haha! It certainly is one of those books you just can't help but read over and over. :D

      Oh no!! That's too bad. Yes, do try and get them sometime! After this conversation I was inspired to pick up the third one at the library (I guess I never finished re-reading them all, because I had read one and two not too long ago) and I really enjoyed it. I felt so reminded of my childhood, because I hadn't read it since I was young. :)

      Delete
  6. I feel like I really should have read 'Listening For Lions' by now :D. *adds to TBR*

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! While I encourage the use of imaginative sharing here, please keep your comments clean and tasteful. I will not publish swearing or vulgar language.

If your comment doesn't immediately appear, don't worry, I moderate my comments. Check back in a day or two to find your response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...