Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Spare Me: Unexpected Allies


This is probably one of my favorite principles. Nothing can give me the chills and thrills like an unexpected ally. Let me 'splain. ;)

1) If it's truly unexpected, it will be a needed surprise for your readers. In my humble opinion, any opportunity to surprise your readers should be taken. (Unless that means a death scene.)

2) It can be the means of adding complexity to a character that was once thought of as a straight enemy. Just for fun, consider a story you have then take a character that might not be a reader's favorite and have them change "sides". See what happens. You will probably find some serious changes will need to be made to allow for this situation.

3) Essentially, it is a fairly easy way to add layers and depth to a story because let's face it, when the odds are against you, as they are in most stories, the arrival of unexpected assistance it always an encouraging booster!

Now for my selected examples:

**Always proceed with caution when it comes to spoilers**

Snape from Harry Potter
I would argue that Snape is the most complex character that Rowling created in her Harry Potter Series. We are never completely sure of where he stands until it becomes important. There were multiple occasions where his mettle was tested and he had the surest heart of the series, and no one really knows it until it's too late.

Darth Vader from Star Wars
I have grown up with the scene of Darth Vader saving his son. The scene builds and builds. The Emperor is secure in his power and is sure of Vader's loyalty. But even as we listen to Luke suffer in the cruel situation the focus is on Vader. And it amazes me that even behind a mask you can grasp his struggle while watching his son's torture. Finally, he does destroy the Emperor to save his son.

And anyone who knows me from blogging knows I couldn't forget a certain group of timely rescuers...

The Eagles of Middle Earth
You never know when they will show up, but you know that when they do, the battle is won!

Who are some of your favorite unexpected allies?

Yours truly,
Cordy

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, yes, yes! When that happens, it is great! Except, when I really have gotten to hate them, and then, boom they're friends. But them I come to like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. If the transition is too hasty it can shock the system. Haha.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Cordy! As always.

    I love unexpected allies. And Snape is a perfect example. :)

    What you said about the eagles made me smile. It's so true. Every time they come they save the day!! They really are awesome allies to have!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushing thanks*

      I figured you might like that example. ;)

      I couldn't pass the eagles up! They are my VERY favorites! (As I'm positive you know. :D)

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes, this is a good one! Unexpected ally scenes are some of my favourites. I love the examples you included!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! While I encourage the use of imaginative sharing here, please keep your comments clean and tasteful. I will not publish swearing or vulgar language.

If your comment doesn't immediately appear, don't worry, I moderate my comments. Check back in a day or two to find your response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...