Alright, so I'm not entirely back from my blogging break. However, I had these posts made up before I took my break and I was only waiting for November to post them. I hope you enjoy!
(And good luck to the NaNoWriMo participants!)
I haven't done a "Spare Me" post in some time so for those of you who might be new to the blog, you can learn more about these posts by clicking:
&
![]() |
| The joy captured in this one gif. CUUUTE! |
Reunions are paramount. They are capable of creating relief in a story without taking a full break from the plot. They add the warm and fuzzy feeling that we need at the end of a long tale or as a reprieve from heavy and saddening themes. That gif I've included up there really speaks to my point. Joy, in this kind of situation, can truly buoy emotion.
Alternatively, reunions can be used to bring pain, 'reality', and bittersweet notes to your narrative. Those who are reunited under painful or uncomfortable terms can also be a means of engaging your reader's emotions. Let's just get into the examples because they're the best anyway.
Marilla and Anne
This one is pretty well covered. :)
Aurora and her parents
In Disney's Sleeping Beauty, one of my favorite moments involves Aurora's reunion with her parents. The story has mostly focused on the princess but when you really think about it, the king and queen had given up knowing their daughter to keep her safe and their reunion is so sweet and rewarding.
The Fellowship Reuniting from The Lord of the Rings
Talk about emotional. These weary travelers accomplished many tasks both together and apart; experiencing many sorrows, frustrations, disappointments. But none of that is remembered when they are finally reunited and together again.
Now on a bittersweet note, I'm going to warn anyone who hasn't read or watched Bleak House not to read any further, and yes, I'm going to make my notes white so you'll have to choose to read the spoiler. (DON'T DO IT!!)
Esther and Lady Deadlock
While I was touched by this moment in the book, the movie scene leaves you in tears. My grandpa and I have watched Bleak House a few times and we have yet to make it through the scene without tears. The fact that the two, while finally together, are forced by the restraints of society never to meet again is extremely painful, to say the least. This is a mother and daughter that are forced to live apart. To know that they have a family to perhaps pass while out in society and yet never acknowledge the other in any warmer light than of common acquaintances. Can you even imagine having to endure such a situation?! Na-ope! I wouldn't be able to do that.
In conclusion, look to use reunions not only to bring joy and relief but to bring a sense of reality or even pain to a character.
Yours truly,
Cordy

Reunions are the best!! They are just so happy!!!!!! Thanks for this post, Cordy!
ReplyDeleteI certainly couldn't do without them!
DeleteThank you, MovieCritic. :D
I love reunions! And that gif is perfection!! :D
ReplyDeleteAlso, though I was sorely tempted, I did NOT read the spoilers for Bleak House. Aren't you proud of me?! Well, you should be. ;)
I am EVER SO PROUD OF YOU!! :D I was so worried I was going to spoil it for someone but I had to mention it for those who are familiar with it. But anyway, yes, I'm very proud! Hahaha.
Delete