Monday, March 27, 2017

Forgotten Romance: Observation and Awareness

Well, well, observation. Observation can be an incredible tool when used properly. But if used incorrectly, it will be the means of delivering another description of a man combing a hand through his hair. Creating what someone observes will reveal more about themselves than upon the subjects they chose to inspect. For example, a compassionate heart will see the emotions in a person's eyes, a critical thinker will observe the action and reactions to certain triggers and there are some that might be misinterpreted as shallow if they are only allowed to notice the physical. Each of these scenarios could be the means of revealing a different part of three differently characterized persons. It will also be the means of revealing your character to your reader's mind.

When considering this in a romantic setting, ensuring your characters are 'coming off the right way', is something to be taken into account while constructing your story and characters. Take notice of what you're choosing your character to observe. It's also important to bear in mind that observing the physical through most of your story, will not add depth to either character. Being attracted physically is only a tiny first step in constructing a romance. One applicable method to utilize the above theory is to give your attracted characters a general awareness of where their interest is. If you are striving for realistic subtly in your stories you're not going to have a character staring at their interest for an entire scene taking note of every move. Especially if other parties are involved in that scene. It's obvious, ridiculous, and TOTALLY sappy. Not to mention, it's not pleasurable to read. ;D


Both of these principles can be found in Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South. 

**Potential Spoilers Ahead**

Alright, Gaskell layers the romance of her story so well that I'm going to mention a few scenes that check the needed criteria.

The bracelet. When Margaret and Mr. Thornton are first becoming acquainted, the gentleman notices a bracelet on Margaret's arm and watches it with some fascination. It's quite a wonderful scene and is a very normal observation as it betrays one of the first indications of attraction. It is a representation of the mentioned physical attraction. (Which is necessary.)

The second scenario happens when the two first shake hands. This scene is key in many ways but the main one being Mr. Thornton takes notice of the fact that it's the first time their hands had met. This is not merely a scene of a man noticing physical contact. The reason it is important to him is because it's one of the first signs of goodwill shared between the pair of them. If this kind of scene took place in a book today, it would have been an observation made by a woman about how amazingly strong "his" hands felt. *failed buzzer sound* That's not what we're looking for! :)

Now to the point of awareness. Because Elizabeth Gaskell did all the hard work previous to this post, thank you(!), I'm just going to quote her:
"He never looked at her, and yet, the careful avoidance of his eyes betokened that in some way he knew exactly where, if they fell by chance, they would rest on her."
Not only did the author use the term betoken (I just love that), but she also built us a perfect window into her character's mind. Haven't we all kept track of someone in just such a way at one time or another? It's a marvelously relatable feeling with perfect imagery.

Well, I'm glad I got this last post up. I didn't think I would make it. But, I hope to have more posts of this nature in the future now that my kick-off month is through.

Have a stupendous day!!!

Yours truly,
Cordy

9 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT! As always. I really love the point of this post. There are some real nuggets here.

    First (and I'm going to go ahead and quote you to my hearts content) this: "For example, a compassionate heart will see the emotions in a person's eyes, a critical thinker will observe the action and reactions to certain triggers and there are some that might be misinterpreted as shallow if they are only allowed to notice the physical." There is SO much food for thought in that sentence. Like it makes so much sense and I'd never really thought about it before!! "Take notice of what you're choosing your character to observe." Eeeek! This is profound! Like really. One day I'm going to apply some of your amazing writerly advice. It's awesome.

    "The reason it is important to him is because it's one of the first signs of goodwill shared between the pair of them." Aww. So good. And that is ten times more REAL...AND romantic...than for the girl to observe how "amazingly strong" the guy's hand feels. Like who cares about that anyway? (I smiled at your failed buzzer sound. That was perfect!)

    All that to say. This was another great post, Cordy! Thank you so much. And good job getting it done before the end of March! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D :D MISS MARCH!!!! You always leave the best comments!!

      Well this had me laughing! "One day I'm going to apply some of your amazing writerly advice. It's awesome."

      I really do have a beef with girls that only ever notice the physical. I mean really girls, dig a little deeper. :D

      Thank you, thank you, and thank you!

      Delete
    2. Aw-shucks. Glad you approve of them. ;)

      Heehee. Well, I meant it. Emphasis on the "one day" of course, because my stories and I haven't been making a whole lot of progress lately. (But then what else is new? ;P)

      Ohmygoodness!! YES. Girls that only notice the physical annoy me to no end! That's not what I call true romance at all! Ugh.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this. Although, I admit I have a habit of male characters who run their hands through their hair. ;D

    North and South is so beautifully written, and all the points you made with it are grand. I definitely need to keep this all in mind with my own writing.

    What you said about hand contact nowadays in books. Hahaha. YES. *shakes head sadly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd mind the mention in your books so much. :) I had a few books on the brain where that seemed to be the only reaction the author ever gave her character. I've seen guys do it so I know it's a normal reaction but the books I'd read had simple overused it.

      I adore North and South!!

      Haha.

      Delete
  3. YES! I thought of North and South as I began reading your posts. I adore the little scenes like these in the book. Gaskell did them so well, and they provide an excellent example of observation!!
    You have some really good points...I'll definitely come back to this when I start working on my writing again. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't North and South amazing?! I love it!
      Oh, yeah! I hope you get some writing time soon!

      Delete
  4. This is one of those things I never think about but it is so true! Thank you again!!! You have such good writing tips!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! While I encourage the use of imaginative sharing here, please keep your comments clean and tasteful. I will not publish swearing or vulgar language.

If your comment doesn't immediately appear, don't worry, I moderate my comments. Check back in a day or two to find your response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...