Sometimes when reading I can feel the book was just written rather than experienced while it was being written. It's more like I'm just reading the story of a character rather than living the story along with the character. So I'll probably pop in with these "Creative Details" post every once in awhile that touch on some helpful hints I've discovered for taking that raw edge off your writing to make it more engaging.
I can't remember when I first began to notice mentions of time and numbers in my reading material but it happened. :) They are minor seemingly unimportant phrases and yet I've found them to be an unexpected means of adding polish and almost a sophistication to what I'm reading. That being so I've created a list of a few number and time terms to consider when writing.
Time/Number Terms
A quarter after __:__
Day before yesterday
Half past __:__
Century ago
a dozen at least
ages ago
ages ago
So, if you're writing a novel and wish to add an easy finish to your story try changing the phrasing used to describe time and numbers.
Yours truly,
Cordy
P.S. These terms are especially helpful in the mystery genre! :D

Yes! Sometimes it really is the small, insignificant details that truly make the story come alive! Good points, Cordy! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips! Time is such a cool thing, and fun to write about!
ReplyDelete