![]() |
| There, I made your day already, right? ;D |
Eyes are fascinating because they are, truly, the window into your soul. Your eyes will say 5,000 things before you can say a single word. Eyes will betray both your humor as well as your pain. One of the hardest parts of your body to control is your eyes and eye contact leaves you open and vulnerable.
Personally, I will not look you in the eye while I'm talking and that's for two reasons. One, if I'm looking you in the eye, I can't keep my train of thought because I'm assessing yours. I have a hard time listening to people when they talk and remembering stories they told me because if I was watching them, I will remember their emotions, not the story details. Two, I don't want you reading my eyes. That's the simple truth. In fact, most in-person conversations that take place between me and someone else will happen with little to no eye contact on my part.
Now, with those bits of information, I just want to sum up the moral of the post. Have eye contact in your stories. Instead of adding another bit of dialogue, think of what could be told in eye contact. What could be explained in that moment of studying silence? Find the vulnerability and reveal the fear and truth in your character by forcing them to make and keep eye contact. Sooo, just a random little something for you to keep in mind while you're weaving your tales.
Now, *claps hands together* for the dessert of the post...
I have a few examples of this principle for you.
Kit and Cinderella:
This scene is a marvelous example! Thank. You. Disney!
Kit and Cinderella have just met on the dance floor. After exchanged greetings, of sorts, they are just staring at one another. Kit begins to ask for a dance and is left speechless looking at the beauty before him. He fumbles but literally can't keep his eyes off her and therefore can't focus on his own request. (And who can blame him? Happiness is radiating off her like light from a mirror!) What's so excellent in the scene, besides the stuttering, is he's not looking at the stunning dress he's completely captivated by her eyes. It is a beautiful moment! Love!!
Another small example comes from another Disney film. (Would Cordy have a blog without Disney? Hmm.) Anyway, a small detail from Beauty and the Beast. After the Beast's transformation into Adam, Belle only recognizes him because of his eyes.
And lastly, Darcy first starts to admire Elizabeth because of her fine eyes. (And he notices when they are brightened by exercise.)
Cheerio!
Cordy


"What painter could do justice to those beautiful eyes?"
ReplyDeleteWow! I never really thought about it, but it is really effective! With the examples you gave! Wow! I will start to use this! Sorry about too many exclamation marks!!! Thanks for the great tip!!!!
Hehe, glad I could help, MovieCritic! (And I don't think there is such a thing as too many exclamation points in the blogging world. :))
DeleteYes, you made my day with that picture. :)
ReplyDeleteI adore this! Seriously, this is so helpful. I had definitely not focused on eye contact much at all, but I certainly will now!
I love those examples! That scene with Prince Kit and Cinderella--marvellous example! Just awesome.
Love this post! Thanks for the tip!
I hope so! Hehehe.
DeleteGood!
That scene is too perfect NOT too highlight! :D Love it!
Thanks, Rae.
Oh! This was excellent. Great tip, Cordy! Thank you. I'm going to have to remember this one.
ReplyDeleteI really liked your examples at the end, too. Kit and Cinderella!! Ohhh! You described that part so beautifully. "Happiness is radiating off her like light from a mirror!" "...he's not looking at the stunning dress he's completely captivated by her eyes." *shivers of delight*
I very much like what you're doing on this blog so far, Cordy! Your posts are so good! :D
Thanks!
DeleteI'm always pleased when I can think of relevant and well known examples to make my point. It makes things so much easier! Haha.
*hobbit bow* At your service. ;)
I LOVE this post. I too am fascinated by people's eyes, and is definitely something I love to study in people (without being creepy, haha). This is such a great tip, and a good reminder! Thanks, Cordy!
ReplyDeleteOh yes. Avoid creepy at all costs! Hehehe.
DeleteThanks, Natalie!